Thinking of moving to Toronto? Well, it’s easy to see why. After all, Toronto is ranked as the fourth most liveable city in the world. If you love arts, culture, and restaurants that will blow you away, Toronto could well be the city for you. However, there are many things you should know before making the move. Here are some of the most important ones.
1. Toronto is one of the most multicultural cities in the world, with residents speaking over 140 languages and dialects in total, and 50% of the population being born outside of Canada. So if you love to learn about new cultures, this is the place to do it.
2. A lot of people live downtown, so the heart of the city is always lively and exciting.
3. Toronto is one of the safest cities in the world. Of course, you should still take care in some areas at night and lock your bike up, but for the most part, you’ll feel pretty safe.
4. There are over 6,000 restaurants in the city, providing delicious, authentic food from all over the world, cooked by people who are actually from that place. Basically, it’s a foodie’s dream city, and it’s no surprise that Torontonians like to eat out several times per week.
5. However, 18% is the standard amount to tip your server for average-good service, while the usual amount to tip a bartender is $1 per drink or 15% of the total bill.
6. Speaking of food, Torontonians are pretty obsessed with brunch, and there are plenty of exceptional brunch spots around.
7. Unlike many cities that have a cut off at 4 am, in Toronto last call is at 2 am, but this often gets extended for big events.
8. The city loves dogs! But still, beware of a few parks not allowing dogs off leashes or some rentals having no dog policies.
9. Traffic is generally bad, as with many big cities, and parking cops are everywhere so don’t risk it! The public transport also isn’t as bad as its reputation – it may be a little slow, but it’s a reliable way of getting from A to B.
10. The winters are cold, yet filled with winter sports and covered with snow, while the summers are hot with more sunshine activities than you could imagine.
11. There are stunning secluded islands just minutes away by ferry or water taxi for when you need to escape the hustle and bustle of the big city.
12. The city is home to plenty of skyscrapers and many more coming soon.
13. Renting can be very expensive, especially if you want to live in the heart of the city. Buying a home can also be costly.
14. There are also 140 registered neighborhoods to choose from, each with very different personalities and attractions, so make sure that you select wisely!
15. There’s plenty of green space to balance out the skyscrapers with parks, cycling trails and hiking trails everywhere.